My earliest memories of technology involved coming home from preschool and watching my favorite videos on the VCR. I had many movies on VHS including the classic Disney movies, Kid Songz, Mary-Kate and Ashley, and even home videos. I remember watching the same videos over and over and having to wait many minutes while the tape would rewind. This was how I learned which buttons meant play, stop, fast forward, and rewind. Eventually, I was able to manipulate the VCR myself.
I remember my dad videotaping me and my sisters using his video recorder and then we would be able to watch them on the TV. All of our TVs were big tube TVs. One of them even had a dial instead of buttons.
The same style TV was also seen in school. Going through elementary school I remember getting so excited when the teacher would wheel in the TV in on the cart. I knew when I saw the TV we were going to get to watch a movie!
In Elementary school I was also exposed to printers. I remember going to computer class and being so excited to print a copy of what I worked on to show my parents. I remember working as fast as I could to ensure I would have time to print. I remember going on field trips and remembering to pack my Walkman/Cassettes and eventually Discman/ book of CDS. I also always had to have my Gigapet (digital pet) to keep me busy on the bus!It was in fifth grade when my Dad first introduced me to the internet at home. We had AOL dial up internet and had to wait what seemed forever for the computer to acquire internet access. I remember hearing those annoying sounds on the phone when I was trying to make a phone call and someone else was on the internet. We had one house phone and we all had to fight for phone time. It wasn't until high school that I received my first cell phone. It was a simple flip phone but it was such a large advancement at the time. It was the best Christmas present I had ever received and I couldn't wait to go in and show my friends.
It was in college that I got my first laptop and when Facebook started becoming popular. Facebook was an easy way to communicate with classmates/friends on the college campus as well as maintain friendships while I was away at school. Technology took off from here. I got an IPod for Christmas and was able to put music from hundreds of CDS on one place. I now have replaced my old flip phone with the IPhone that has all the capabilities of a computer. I watch TV on a flat screen and watch DVDs instead of VHS. I now read books on my Nook and browse the internet on the IPad. New technology seems to overtake the old.
It is unbelievable to see how technology has drastically changed just over my lifetime and I have no doubt we have only just seen the beginning.



Your description of the buttons for the VHS player made me think of the astounding library of great Disney tapes my girls collected. The entire family enjoyed them so often I'm surprised they didn't wear out. Actually, I think we did wear out a couple of those rewinders....Enjoyed your tech timeline :-))
ReplyDeleteOh, the television cart the teacher brought in! I remember the thrill of it and the annoyance of the teacher when it wouldn't work. I think I still have old tube tv with knobs atop a cart outside my classroom. And the printers! Did you have the same joy of pulling off the perforated edges as I did? And then there was the added bonus of making them into Jacob's Ladders. Isn't it funny how far technology has come?
ReplyDelete